A Community of Interest (COI) is a group of people that share a common bond or interest. It is a concentrated population that should be included within a single district for purposes of effective and fair representation. Communities of Interest may not include relationships with political parties, incumbents, or candidates.
Examples of Communities of Interest
- Senior citizens
- Recent immigrants from the same country / region
- LGBTQIA+ communities
- Residents who share a common language or culture
- People who use the same public transportation
- People who live in an industrial, rural or urban area
- People who use the same parks and recreation areas
Tell the County about your Community of Interest
Complete the COI survey online
Download a fillable pdf version of the survey in English, Chinese, Spanish or Tagalog
Return completed surveys by email to DistrictLines@smcgov.org or by mail to:
County Manager’s Office
400 County Center, 1st Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063.
Would you like to share public comment in a public hearing or redistricting workshop? Visit the Schedule Page to see upcoming opportunities to participate.